I was thumbing through some crappy magazine in the checkout line at the grocery store the other night and read one of those “What’s in your bag” articles (and I use the term “article” very, very lightly here).
I scoffed at how totally ridiculous this list was because, mainly, it was way too perfect. I challenge anyone to upend a bag they use consistently and not find an old balled up kleenex, a wrapper of something or a pen that doesn’t work. These perfectly styled layouts? Not my reality.
Let’s start with the fact that the bag I carry most often is a GIGANTIC backpack that doubles as carryall, locker room, computer bag and mobile snack station.
While it’s big enough to carry pretty much everything I own, I know that I look like a kindergardener trundling along on her first day of school when I wear it. I also realize that should I fall over backwards while wearing it when it’s fully full, it might be Game Over.
Since I am currently training for Ironman (and stuff) and spending a few days a week out of the house away from a home base, I tend to rely on this bag more frequently than usual. So I thought I’d play the game with myself.
“Christine, what’s in your bag?”
Well, let’s see, shall we? (Dumps bag on kitchen floor).
- Damp bathing suit + towel;
- Swim bag with all manner of swim toys;
- Anja’s swim goggles (huh);
- 2 pairs of running shoes;
- Trucker hat, running toque, favourite Planks toque;
- Running shorts (forgotten in there from Friday’s workout. Gross.)
- 5 socks;
- 3 pairs of underwear: 2 of mine, 1 of Anja’s (useful!);
- iPod. Battery dead. Typical.
- 2 pairs of earbuds;
- 2 shirts;
- 1 pair of tights;
- Sunglasses (it’s been raining for daaaaaaays);
- Running jacket;
- $2.85 in change;
- A bag of training food;
- Water bottle;
- A ziploc bag with 2 dates;
- 3 gym pass cards (so THAT’S where they were!)
- Travel toiletry kit;
- 2 sports bras;
- Nok anti-chafe cream;
- Dry shampoo;
- Day planner + pen;
- 2 headbands, countless bobby pins and 7 elastics (and I don’t really tie my hair up).
- 3 lip balms;
- Lots of bits of gravel.
I guess I’ll never get a page in Fashion magazine. But I bet you’re all dying to know what I’d answer to the paparazzi yelling: “Christine, Christine! Who are you wearing?!”
I’ll spare you.