How many times in the past few weeks have I cracked open the laptop with the intention of writing something mildly insightful? Plenty. How many times have I gotten distracted by something shiny and left the page open, untouched? Also plenty.
But it’s Monday morning… 9:22am. I’m caffeinated, have been up for hours and would like to continue to ignore the inbox and to-do list and the piles of laundry for a few more minutes. So here I am. Staring at a blinking cursor and wondering what to write about.
Frighteningly, we’re halfway into 2018. In January, I stated my intentions for upcoming year. I’m not one for looking back and looking inwards. But hey, why not see how it’s all going?
- More outside -> So far, yes. Spring and summer make me want to be outside always.
- Less inside -> See above. And we cancelled cable TV.
- More water -> This could use some work.
- Less booze -> Yes. Mostly. With a few exceptions.
- More extrovert -> Pretty much no. Getting outside of my happy little circle of people is proving tough for me.
- Less introvert -> But I’m trying.
- More together -> Not as much as I’d like.
- Less apart -> But that’s why there are phones. Hi, Lynn!
- More yes -> Yes! It’s fun when you can say yes when a no is expected.
- Less no -> And it’s scary (see above, #5).
- (But sometimes) more no -> I gave a big NO last week. Hard yet liberating.
- (and sometimes) less yes -> Learning that the answers don’t need to be instant.
- More bravery -> Sometimes, I can surprise even myself.
- Less fear -> The older I get, the more I am learning to be less scared. Imagine how fearless I’ll be at 86?
- More simplicity -> With objects, this is easy. With people…
- Less complexity -> People are complex. Very, very complex.
- More doing -> 100%
- Less wishing -> But I’ll never stop wishing.
And with that, I shall wish away Juneuary…
Above, a visual recap of sorts of life since January.